Wednesday, November 7, 2007

A quick hello before curfew

It's already starting to be dusk and I need to be home before dark, but just wanted to tell you that I'm doing well.
Training continues apace. We had a great fieldtrip this weekend to a beautiful crater lake near our training site. It was about a 4km hike down to the lake, where we took a little canoe to a the island in the middle, where there is a small monastery. The whole place was wonderful, as was the peanut butter sandwich I had for lunch. It was lovely also to have a day off from training. On the way out, we took horses, which was fun.
On both Sunday and Monday, I went to Addis Ababa (a 2 hour van ride) for a day trip. Once was for a protestant wedding with my friend Beth's host family and some folks from their church (that trip was a little overwhelming--we stopped 9 times on the way back; including once for banana flavored gum and once to pray by the side of the road. We were exhausted!). On Monday we had a technical trip to talk with folks from Save the Children and CDC Ethiopia, which was fabulous. I also bought a poster for my house and a KitKat bar, which were wholeheartily appreciated.
I'm slowly learning Amharic, and am occasionally able to string together full sentences with my host family. Yesterday I learned from my friends' host family to make injera (the Ethiopian flat bread staple) and to milk a cow. Quite the evening!
I'm doing well. I miss all of you, and live for letters. I'll write you back for sure if I get one from you (hint hint).
More soon!

No comments: