Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Slight Acheivements

Things I've accomplished in the last week:

1) A woman from the Ethiopian Telecommunications Communications
Corporation called me this morning to tell me that my bill was due.
And I understood. I even heard her say "she speaks Amharic!" to a
colleague as she hung up the phone. And I managed to pay the bill in
only 4 steps (a security guard and 3 different desks).

2) I bought an umbrella for the sun. Everyone has been telling me that
I need one because I'll turn black (tan, I'm guessing). They think
it's funny when I say I'll actually just turn into a beet. The
surprising thing about this purchase? I love it! I carry it
everywhere. Bright green and floral. I think I love it mostly because
I blend in ever so slightly better.

3) I found a good tutor and am finally learning to read. Huzzah!

I'm leaving for Addis, then our In-Service Training, then a short
hiking trip, on Thursday. No idea what the Internet situation will be
like. I'll update sometime in the near(ish) future.

2 comments:

The Wandering Jew said...

I am seriously impressed with your mad Amharic skillz!

Abebe Kebede said...

What is Huzzah! ?
This is probably a non Ethiopian language. Is it ?. Yes you need umbrella (JanTila). The sun can burn you. Where you are to turn black is used to mean the same. But it is closer to sunburn.
From the reading I gather you are enjoying Ethiopia.

Abbebe