Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A bit of promotion

Just found the URL for the orphanage that I've been working with.
They're are really great organization, currently struggling to find
room for more and more children who are being given up for adoption.
When I arrived in Bahir Dar, they had about 12 live-in children and
maybe an additional 20 attending day care. They're up to 23 live-ins
and probably 60 total in day care. They're building an additional
center, hiring qualified staff (including a social worker, hurray!),
and trying really hard to do what's best for these kids. Grace Center
(or Centre, if you were to ask them) is one of the best stops on the
tour that I give to every visitor to Bahir Dar. It's a pretty special
place. Clean, bright, filled with happy, healthy babies. My visits
there (and the relationship I'm forming with the family that runs it)
have definitely helped me to keep my sanity, and it's doing SO much
more for the kids and the families it serves.

Here's the link: http://www.gracecentres.org/index.html. Take the
religious affiliation as you will--they're a pretty fabulous group
(and the religious element here in Bahir Dar is actually rather
minimal). I'm sure that they would appreciate your support.

1 comment:

SLLiew said...

Hi Anna T,
I saw your postcards in Glenn Moore (Canada) postcard blog. I am also an avid postcard collector from Penang island, Malaysia.

Possible to send me 1 or 2 postcards from Ethiopia :)

I could not find your email address and so I hope you do not mind my leaving this request here.

I will be happy to send you postcards from Penang island, Malaysia.

My email is smspenang@yahoo.com

My postcard blog
http://smspostcard.blogspot.com/